Public Services Laborer Recruitment Notice
Public Services Laborer Recruitment Notice
Public Services Laborer Position Summary
Provides general labor and technical skills in support of the delivery of public services, including, but not limited to; sanitary, storm, maintenance of public streets and right-of-way, forestry, parks & recreational facilities, building maintenance, heavy equipment operation, and maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintenance and operation of a sanitary sewer collection system and a storm water collection system.
- Performs sewer main and manhole repairs; inspects, televises and analyzes sewer main problems; and operates equipment required to clean sewer mains and lift stations.
- Maintains public streets and right-of-way. Removes snow, performs salting and ice control, clears walks and trails, installs snow fence, brush pick-up, debris removal, minor to major pavement repair, flatwork, street tree management (pruning, removal, planting), repair and clean catch basins.
- Assists in maintenance of parks and other public grounds. This includes mowing and trimming grass, installs and maintains landscaping and fencing, empties trash and recycling containers, stores and maintains seasonal equipment.
- Performs minor building repair, custodial services to City owned properties, maintenance and remodeling projects, painting, and cleaning. Additional minor repair and maintenance duties may be assigned including heating and cooling, electrical and plumbing.
- Install and repair street signs and posts and knowledge of Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Performs duties as assigned in the maintenance and operation of the City compost site.
- Operates various major equipment and vehicles as necessary to carry out duties assigned including snow plows, dump trucks, tractors, backhoes, sewer cleaning equipment, and street sweeper.
- Performs vehicle and equipment maintenance and upkeep including, but not limited to, record keeping, refueling, washing and minor maintenance or repairs. Major maintenance and repairs may be assigned including engine or drivetrain repair, welding and fabrication.
- Assist in maintaining and managing department inventory of supplies, materials, tools, signs, etc.
- Follows all state laws, local regulations and work rules pertaining to job safety. Reports any near misses and violations of safety laws, regulations and rules to their supervisor.
- Keep informed of current trends and technology in areas of responsibility and apply to assigned functional area of responsibility.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to operate a variety of tools and equipment including; hand tools, dump truck and plow, backhoe, sewer cleaning equipment, street sweeper, brush chipper, chain saws, lawn mowers and tractors, various other small power tools.
- Ability to maintain equipment and vehicles assigned to operate and evaluate when such maintenance or repairs can be completed in-house or requires outside services.
- Ability to manage multiple work assignments, prioritize, and complete all assignments accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ability to take direction, facilitate communication, resolves problems, work individually and as part of a team, receive and give constructive criticism.
- Ability to make sound decisions and exercise good judgment in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate decimals and percentages, and makes use of the principles of descriptive statistics.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret policy and procedure manuals, work rules, safety procedures, construction plans, GIS mapping and record drawings.
- Ability to record and deliver information, explain procedures and follow directions and instructions accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the general public, board members, administration, supervisors, other City employees, construction contractors, and others.
- Ability to work long hours on an irregular work schedule.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years of directly related work experience.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and access to an operable and licensed vehicle.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B minimum with air brake endorsement or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment.
- Position requires occasional overtime work.
- Must pass a post-employment offer drug screen and DOT physical.
- Must attend City safety training sessions required for position and meet and associated testing requirements.
Additional Desired Training/Licenses
- Direct experience as a heavy equipment operator (backhoe, excavator, loader).
- Certified in Confined Spaces Entry or ability to obtain within 6 months of date of hire.
- This position is performed in both indoor and outdoor settings, possibly in adverse weather conditions along with the ability to sit, stand and walk and do repetitious tasks for an extended period of time.
- Requires the ability to frequently lift loads of up to 100 pounds.
- Requires the ability to climb and descend a ladder.
- Requires the ability to operate/use hand tools, power tools, motorized vehicles and equipment.
- Requires the ability to effectively communicate verbally with citizens and other staff members.
- Ability to operate office equipment to include telephone, computers, printers, and photocopier.