Recreation Manager Position Summary
Oversees the recreation services of the City, including management of personnel and the budget for the Youth club facility, parks facilities, and municipal marina. Responsible for supervision of recreation staff including recruiting, onboarding, scheduling, and performance evaluation. Apprises the Director of Public Services of facility and maintenance needs. Assists the Director with some administrative functions. Works a flexible schedule commensurate with recreation operational needs, with an expectation of at least 40 hours per week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Recreation Program Duties and Responsibilities (80%)
Recreation Program Management
- Plans, promotes, organizes, facilitates and/or supervises (either directly or indirectly through program staff) year-round recreation programs, activities and events.
- Ensures that programs are safe and providing value and benefit to the individual participant as well as the community.
- Attends monthly Parks and Recreation Committee meetings.
- Manages Youth Club food/snack inventory, including the purchasing and ordering of new inventory.
- Evaluates programs and makes related recommendations for changes to the Parks and Recreation Committee.
- Schedules and coordinates, and maintains a professional and cooperative relationship with organizations with the use and security of facilities and athletic fields utilized for recreation programming and community use.
- Assists in the planning and coordinating of participant registration for seasonal recreation programs, activities, reservations and events.
- Prepares and implements communications and promotional materials for recreation programs.
- Submits financial reports on revenues and expenditures at conclusion of programs, activities and/or events.
- Performs various administrative functions for recreation services (Youth Club, marina, facility rental), including billing, payroll, budgeting, ordering of equipment and supplies.
- Assists in preparation and implementation of communication and promotional materials for Public Services Department.
- Recruits, interviews, and recommends to the appropriate body specific personnel to be hired for the recreation programming.
- Trains, advises, and evaluates the recreation program employees. Supervises program coordinators, part-time and seasonal employees in the implementation of recreation programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Responsible for the recruitment, scheduling, and supervision of seasonal Algoma Marina employees.
- Works with City Administration on the renewal of and outreach for marina slip rental agreements.
- Manages the budget for the marina and advises Director of recommended changes to rates and fee schedule.
- May, on occasion, be required to fil in for unfilled shifts during marina hours of operation, as determined by the Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Public Services Administrative Support (15%)
- Directly assists the Public Services Director in management of public project contract documents, pay requests, change orders and related
- Assists the Public Services Director with special projects, capital project implementation, annual budget and CIP preparation, grants and other management items as
- Performs or assists the Director with regular administrative functions such as payroll, billing, and ordering of equipment and supplies.
- Maintains related records, such as service requests (e.g. sidewalk and tree repair/removal requests).
- Attends monthly Public Works Committee meetings.